Spelt is an ancient grain. Whilst a member of the same grain family as wheat, Spelt is a completely different species. Spelt is an extremely popular grain now as information about its value as a food source, and its ability to be tolerated by many people with wheat sensitivities becomes more widely known. Although Spelt contains gluten, it is much easier to digest than other wheat varieties, and may be suitable for people with wheat or gluten intolerances. White or Wholemeal Spelt, Organic or Sustainable, it is one of the healthiest bread making flours you can use. Spelt is suitable for breads, cakes, pancakes, biscuits, pasta, pastries and most baking needs. Our spelt is grown and milled in Australia.
Some more qualities of the spelt grain:
- A grain from inside a hull, like oats, not like normal wheat. The hull offers good
natural protection from insect damage.
- Higher protein content than normal wheat grown under similar conditions.
- Slightly better quality in the protein than wheat with essential amino acids-lysine, threonine and methonine.
- Less glutanic acid/ glutamine than normal wheat.
- A pleasant nutty flavour predominantly derived from phenolic compounds, not found in normal wheat, which act as natural antioxidants in the body.
- Expected that the starch will be metabolised more slowly than normal wheat because of the different levels of proteins on the individual starch granules – so lower GI and better for diabetics or those with fluctuating blood sugar levels.
Basically any recipe can be used with Spelt. Spelt flour requires less mixing than normal baker’s flour as the glutins are weaker. Set the bread machine on the fastest setting as most failures are caused by the spelt over rising and then collapsing before the heat is high enough to kill the yeast. We recommend blending white spelt with wholemeal spelt when using a bread machine.
Hi guys, As a long time customer I want to say thank you for providing high quality flours, my favourite is
the spelt flour. I use it for absolutely everything; from making pasta, pizza bases, cakes, biscuits and of course bread making. I believe homemade cooking and baking is best, and its made so easy when using the very best ingredients. Always excellent service and advice. I continue to recommend SNK, and encourage everyone as there are so many delicious recipes to try. Thanks again, Doriana (Vic)
Doriana’s spelt bread.
Spelt on Special until May Friday 28th Buy Now! 15% Discount!!
Sourdough Starter Kit
Sourdough is easy when you have a little help, good ingredients and a little patience. It is as one of our customers said one day…”it is kind of magical!” The satisfaction of baking your own sourdough bread is truly rewarding and one that the entire family can enjoy! Price $30.00
Bread Making Kit- all you need to get started in a gift bag! $80.00